Pride Cymru is aware that many members of the community require additional support in accessing events, services and facilities throughout the city. We believe in the importance of empowering all to participate in community events and access city services on an equal basis.
Disability Equality is covered by disability discrimination laws but equality should in any case be a fundamental part of society and social interaction.
Pride Cymru takes accessibility and safety issues very seriously for ALL visitors who attend our events and for 2016 we are building on the services we provide. This is a programme of progression and we intend to expand these services in future years.
Pride Cymru has no paid committee members, administrators or big budget funding to directly fund the event and all event work is done by volunteers. We are passionate about our community and the wellbeing, independence and inclusion of all. Therefore we endeavour to promote good practice and address safety, accessibility, and disability inclusion concerns for all who attend any Pride Cymru events or interact with our charity.
Access 2for1 Ticket Scheme
In our commitment to make Pride accessible to everyone, we provide deaf or disabled ticket holders that require full time assistance and are in receipt of one of the following with a ticket at no additional cost for their personal assistant;
- Receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Evidence of being severely sight impaired
- A recognised Assistance Dog ID Card.
PLEASE NOTE: Although priority will go to those people that receive one of the above all applications will be considered individually. For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Tickets can be purchased online via our website.
We can add you to our database so for future events no further evidence will be required.
Tickers can be purchased via the cash office on the day of the event, the cash office does have a hearing loop prison and evidence must be shown to the ticket office staff.
Quiet Zone / Access Area
Every year we provide our Quiet Zone / Access area
- The area will not just be a meeting point but a safe space, an information point, and a reporting point for any incidents or support requirements
- It will have wheelchair/scooter recharging points.
- The aea will also serve as a key information point for Pride, and will have a manned information desk, with a sign language interpreter present at key times.
- The event will have accessible portaloos within its grounds.
- An Access Steward (with a clearly identifiable tshirts) will monitor access to the Area. The Access Steward’s role will be to support those using the tent and provide information and assistance, whilst ensuring the area is utilised for the purpose meant.
- Some accessible portaloos are equipped with baby changing and may be used for adult changing where required.
- We also have a fully accessible ‘changing places’ unit of site that may be accessed as required.
- A baby/child changing facility will be made available for disabled adults and children, within the Family / Youth Zone
- Signage to the Quiet Zone / Access Area will be present throughout the field, and all stewards will be briefed on where the Access Area / Quiet Zone is.
- A watering / feeding and toileting facility will be available for guide and other assistance dogs.
- An interpreter will be on hand to assist with the St John Ambulance Service, Police and the discrete ‘Report it’ service.
- Hate (or other) crime incidents can be reported in safety at the Access Area through a discreet and anonymous drop in service. Police will attend a situation if required.
- A programme of British Sign Language interpreted performances will be available throughout the day.
Pride Cymru is aware that many Pride goers with additional support needs will need to parade in a space where access stewards are available to prevent them from being crowded out or bumped into, andwhere they can feel confident and proud.
To enable this, a ‘safe space’ will be situated towards the front of the parade. This will ensure that the whole parade moves at a pace that is suitable for everyone.
However if you wish to take part in any other location within the parade you are welcome.
We welcome All members of the community to join us on the parade.
For more details on the parade please check out the parade section of our website.
- Use of a golf buggy is available for those that wish to take part but cannot walk the full distance of the Parade – due to limited access it is a first come – first served provision. Please contact email@example.com to book.
- People with their own mobility scooters or wheelchairs will be able to recharge them in the Access Tent.
- Cardiff Shopmobility provides mobility scooters at a very reasonable rate of £3 per scooter but must be booked in advance. Call 029 20 399355
- Parade Stewards will be present in the safe space and prevent ingress by spectators.
- A BSL sign language interpreter will be available in the safe space.
- Parade Stewards will also be prepared to assist those people who need to leave the safe space for any reason.
- Pride Cymru will be partnering with Cardiff Peoples First and British Deaf Association and Visualise Training and Concultuncy who will be delivering Disability Awareness briefings to ALL appropriate Access stewards and Pride personnel.
- On the day of the parade a re-brief for Access Stewards who will also ensure that stay safe participants will know what facilities are available and what to do if they need help.
Viewing Area For The Parade
As the Parade is a walking parade, through the most visual and pedestrianised areas of the City – there are many areas of public seating and easily accessible areas that may be used as advantageous viewing points.
Main Event Entry
PEAK ENTRY TIMES: Peak entry times are between 12.30pm and 4pm. You may wish to arrive before 12.30pm and 4pm to avoid the peak times, you’ll still have loads of time to enjoy the extended hours of entertainment.
During peak times (especially when the Parade finishes) dedicated gate lines will be open.
Patrons with bags will be required to undergo bag searches.
If you register your accessibility requirements with us in advance we will endeavour to support you in accessing the field and parade. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Accessible Toilets / Changing Room Facilities
There are accessible toilets located in all toilet areas.
These are staffed throughout the day to prevent misuse. Baby changing is located in the family zone.
Changing room facilities are also available.
The viewing areas are solely for the use of our disabled and deaf Pride goers plus one other.
We have a viewing platform for the Main Stage and a view area for Cabaret Stage.
A steward will be ready to assist people where needed.
Please note chairs are not provided in any of the areas but you can bring your own.
Patrons are advised that flicker, laser, strobe and other lighting effects may be in use at the Pride Cymru site.
BSL Sign Language (BSL) Interpreting Services
We are lucky to have a team of BSL trained volunteers at this year’s event. These dedicated individuals are giving their time FREE of charge to Pride Cymru and the community.
A BSL Interpreter will be based at the Quiet Zone Tent at key times and a running timetable will also be provided of when interpreters will be on main or cabaret stages throughout the day. For 2015 we anticipate that we will have 90% of all acts covered on both stages throughout the day.
Please note BSL Interpreters will be viewable via the large screen for the main stage only.
This year the BSL interpreters will also be available to provide support in the markets and street food area.
Blue Badge Holders will be able to access all the standard parking areas throughout Cardiff City Centre – please note that the upper section of Churchill Way is not available as this is the muster point for the Parade and Pulse After Party.
If you wish to take part in the Parade (whether in your own scooter or wheelchair) please register at email@example.com .Parade participants must muster by 10.30am.
Visit http://www.ncp.co.uk/parking-solutions/attractions/cardiff-castle for the closest car parks to Coopers field.
For the Parade the closest car park is the Capitol Car Park.
Designated parking has been provided at the Castle Mews car park, Parking space is limited to Blue Badge Holders only and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Book your space via firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternative Format Information
Through the support of our partners we are able to provide
- Braille listing of parade route – Electronic version available on request.
- Easy read parade and event information
- Video of parade route
- Access Pride Guide (Word Document)
Attitude Is Everything Press Release
Hard copy information can be requested by contacting email@example.com